Project Run-away

Wednesday, March 05, 2008 | with 10 comments »


I always make it a point to send my longtime galpal, Charmaine, links that I know she'll get a kick out of or that might be appropriate fodder for her delightful blog, Juiciful. We've been fast friends since we were footloose and fancy free twentysomethings toiling together as graphic designers in Chicago. It was the glorious 90's when we first met: mini backpacks were all the rage, the Rachel Aniston shag was de rigeur, Melrose Place was must see tv, and we were single and carefree (see vintage photo at right, at typical night out for us. Her look: Asian Hooker Meets Breakfast at Tiffany's and mine: Good Humor Man/Bollywood Club Kid). I digress. Anyway, when I stumbled upon the news of Chloe Sevigny's new role as fashion designer I immediately alerted her and this is what she had to say:

I have long loathed Chloe Sevigny's unique and almost unequivocally figure unflattering fashion sense. Ms. Sevigny's wardrobe abominations and reluctance to powder her nose have gained her the rare status of "frequent offender" on the Go Fug Yourself site (my favorite guilty pleasure). Some would argue that Ms. Sevigny is a fashion impresario and if one sticks to the dictionary definition of "a person who puts on or sponsors an entertainment," this could be an accurate description. I'm just trying to imagine if Marc Jacobs or top American fashion designer Michael Kors or those cuties Lazaro Hernandez and Jack McCollough at Proenza Schouler are amused by Ms. Sevigny's audacity at assuming the role of designer. I know it chaps my a** when type bastardizing buffoons with a cracked copy of Photoshop call themselves graphics (with an "s") designers.

I couldn't have expressed it better. Check out Chloe's entire collection of unusual garments at Opening Ceremony.

Doodle Whore wants to know what YOU think, dear reader. Do you want to dress like Chloe Sevigny?

10 comments

  1. joe*to*hell // March 6, 2008 at 12:46 PM

    i have so much to say to this....

    first, no, i dont want to wear that shit. even in messy drag

    this has so ruined opening ceremony for me. i love that store, and happen to be wearing two items from there right now as i type this.

    her doing fashion is like me doing "graphics" ( read: i cant even make a stick figure )

    that photo of you and your girl looks like a still from "the next best thing" starring rupert everett and that new hip hop artist i been reading about.... you know, the scene where they get drunk and then make a gayby? doppelgangers, you are.

  2. Doodle Whore // March 6, 2008 at 12:59 PM

    I'm laughing so hard. I wish we had made a gayby back when we had the chance. Now she is married and has a gayby and one in the oven. Well, her hubby's straight, so I guess it's just a baby. But she's basically a gay man trapped in a woman's body, so we'll still call it a gayby.

  3. Anonymous // March 6, 2008 at 2:28 PM

    My closet from 1986 called. It wants it clothes back. Can C.S. just be OVER, yet, already, and go rent Johnny Depp's house in Provence and spend the rest of her life being discreetly sighted by well heeled European tourists? Please?

  4. Charmaine // March 6, 2008 at 5:14 PM

    I'm so honored to be featured on Doodlewhore. And, I LOVE your rendering of the gnarled and skanky Sevigny. xxoo, C.

  5. javelin // March 6, 2008 at 6:25 PM

    I feel like she is assaulting me with this potent brand of ugliness. there is no safe place to look.

  6. gilmore // March 7, 2008 at 10:40 AM

    This is my favorite posting of all!

    I've never quite understood why she is considered to be such a fashion darling. I saw Chloe at a party years ago and she was dressed like a 70 year old substitute math teacher. Her hair was up in an old lady bun and she was sporting an ill fitting purple polyester pant suit. I should say, I think it was is polyester. I didn't feel the fabric but it had that bullet proof/ stain proof quality that only polyester has.

    I LOVE that photo of you and your friend Charmine. More pictures please.............

    Your writing is absolutely hilarious Mr.

    xoxo

  7. brandy101 // March 8, 2008 at 7:11 PM

    Will someone please tell Chloe that ALL of her "looks" have already been done - ESPECIALLY the catsuits - in Spiegel's nasty little sister, the Newport News catalog

  8. Dwight Shrute // March 12, 2008 at 5:11 PM

    These are the clothes you wear when you are giving birth.

  9. Elspeth // March 19, 2008 at 12:12 PM

    Not only do I want to dress like her - I want to wear her!

  10. Anonymous // March 23, 2008 at 4:30 PM

    Holy Salvation Army!
    Who let her loose! See you make a little money acting and then you either become a singer or a fashion designer. Why doesn't she just stick to acting?!
    It really looks awful I'd like to know who would waste money on that crap.