The B-52's are Back!

Wednesday, March 12, 2008 | with 6 comments »


Picture it: January 26, 1980. I'm 11 and I've stayed up late to watch Saturday Night Live. The B-52's take the stage and my young brain starts reeling. They were unlike anything I had encountered in my white bread suburban world up until that moment. "What are they?" I asked my mom, eyes wide as saucers. "Oh, they're punk." Wow. Punk. I wanted to be punk, too.

Anyway, I've been a fan ever since and I've been waiting since 1992 for them to do a new record and it's finally being released on March 25th. The first single "Funplex" is available on iTunes and it's already in heavy rotation here at Doodle Whore Headquarters. Read all about what they've been up to during their long hiatus and all about the new album here. Also, if you ever find yourself in the Catskills here in New York, be sure to swing by Kate Pierson's Lazy Meadow. You can enjoy nature and wigs galore all in one picturesque spot.

Click here to download the new song “Hot Corner,” a track guitarist Keith Strickland calls “loud, sexy rock & roll with the beat pumped up to hot pink.”

6 comments

  1. Brad // March 13, 2008 at 1:24 PM

    Awesome work! This looks like the promo photo I've been using as my desktop wallpaper, but your addition of Ricky to the drawing is not only fitting...it's moving. Only a fan would think to do this. Fantastic job. Thanks for sharing.

  2. jay are // March 13, 2008 at 2:09 PM

    Holy "Rock Lobster" Batman. Thats great news not to mention a fantastic doodle. Alls I can say is "Tin Roof Rusted"!!!!!

  3. Charl // March 13, 2008 at 2:12 PM

    I love what you did with B-52’s in that doodle. It would not be out of place on some fun merchandise... Maybe try them on it! I agree with Brad about the inclusion of Ricky... (love the little halo.... sweet!)

    We also stayed at Kate’s Lazy Meadow a few years back, in the turquoise kitchen suite (the one Kate is sitting in on the website)... It was such a blast!!! Anyone up for a campaliciously fun time should get there!

  4. leashdog // March 13, 2008 at 6:02 PM

    OMG, I remember seeing that exact same SNL the night it aired. I was lucky enough to be an extra in the Funplex video shoot and told Fred that they have been an inspiration to me my whole life and thanked him for it. How often do you get to meet your heros? I love love love this drawing, dude. This is going on my iPod as the album covers for all the remixes that don't have one. And you now have a reader whore who will be an avid fan of your blog from now on. You rock (lobster)!

    Sincerely,
    Pup Don

  5. David // March 14, 2008 at 3:02 PM

    Hey, you are so talented. That drawing is one of the best things I have seen all day. The inclusion of Ricky made me go 'aww' - it's so perfect. I do a bit of drawing too, so that's inspiring to see Funplex-era B-52's drawn.

  6. krylonultraflat // March 29, 2008 at 7:32 PM

    Once upon a time I wanted to start a B-52's cover band wherein the lead singer (me) would overdo a Fred Schneider impersonation but replace every word he was supposed to sing with the words "Fred Schneider." Everything else would be the same.